How to install a WordPress theme on bluehost
WordPress themes play a critical role in your site. They create the look and feel of your entire site in just a few clicks, with no coding required. You can find free themes in the WordPress directory, or install premium themes from third-party sites. Many free themes are ideal for those who want to tinker with their code, but paid themes offer extra support and more features for a website tailor-made to your needs
Your WordPress pages and posts workflow are about to get a lot smoother. Of course, the first step is to install the a recommended WordPress theme and set it up.
We’ve made the installation process as smooth as possible with a step-by-step setup wizard. The wizard is there to help you configure the theme for your site – there are lots of options to choose from, and each type of site has its own requirements.
In this article, we’re going to guide you through the process of installing WordPress theme on bluehost and working through the wizard. Some time ago, someone asked the question how to install a WordPress theme on your blog. I can assure you that the process is the same. We’ll explain what the different options mean and guide you to make the right choices for your site.
Of course, you can change the settings later through the plugin’s interface – so it’s not the end of the world if you make a mistake the first time. With that being said, the most important piece of the puzzle here is that you can learn how to make a WordPress website, install any WordPress theme and then create something awesome for your business or project all on your own.
But first, let’s add the plugin to your site. The process is exactly the same as any WordPress plugin – there are several ways you can install it. You can:
- Upload it through the wp-admin panel
- Upload it to the server using FTP
- Download it directly onto the server using SSH
1. Upload it through the wp-admin panel
WordPress stores its themes in a subfolder of the ‘wp-content’ directory called ‘themes’ that you will find in the root directory of your WordPress installation.
The first option is the easiest method, while the third option is more advanced – if you’re unfamiliar with SSH and the wget command, you should use the wp-admin panel. If that fails (due to your server settings), use the FTP installation method.
This may seem like the most complicated step, but Bluehost has worked hard to make this one of the easiest things for you to do by using the ”user-friendly options” for installing WordPress and other applications.
- Log in to your WordPress admin page, then go to Appearance and select Themes.
- To add a theme, click Add New. From this page, you have two ways to add a new theme. If you know the name of the theme you want, search for it in the Theme directory. If you don’t know your preferred theme’s name, use the Feature Filter to hone down your selection, check any tags and click Apply Filter for a screen filled with themes that meet your search criteria.
- To unlock a themes options, hover over it; you can either choose Preview to see a demo of the theme or install it by clicking the Install button once you’re ready. Once installed, click the Activate link.
- You’re all done, now preview your site to see how it looks.
We recommend reading through any instructions that come with your chosen theme regarding installation. Some themes will require more steps than others, going beyond the basic steps covered here. Follow the instructions provided, and if you run into any problems, contact the theme’s author for help.
How to install a WordPress theme on bluehost: Downloading WordPress themes
There are thousands of free blog themes for WordPress, making it hard for beginners to choose between all the different options. The best WordPress themes can be tough to find. Your free theme needs to be reliable and easily customizable.
If you purchased a theme from a developer that operates outside of the WordPress themes directory, you need to upload it before installing. Follow these simple instructions to upload and install a theme.
- Begin by downloading the theme’s .zip file from the source onto your local computer.
- From your WordPress Administration area, head to Appearance > Themes and click Add New.
- The Add New theme screen has a new option, Upload Theme.
2.Upload it to the server using FTP
Installing WordPress theme using FTP can be complicated. By using this method there is a risk of deleting or modifying files, which could bring your site offline. For this reason, we advise that only advanced users install themes this way. To use the FTP to add new themes manually, follow these steps.
To begin, you must have an FTP hostname, username and password, and an FTP client. FTP is a text-based protocol – Filezilla adds a graphical interface that makes it easier to visualize what’s happening on the server. The log panel contains a complete transcript of the conversation between your PC and the server.
FTP is a very popular choice for uploading files to web servers. It’s not the only file transfer technology, but it does the job well and it’s easy to use.
There are many FTP clients out there, and they all have different interfaces and workflows. Behind the scenes, they all do the same thing.
For this tutorial, we’re using the most popular FTP client – Filezilla. You can follow along with your preferred FTP app, but some of the details will be different.
3. Download it directly onto the server using SSH
To install a new theme using SSH:
- Log in to the server via SSH as the user (not root, or you will run into permissions problems).
- Download the theme package (usually a zip file) to the theme’s directory, unzip, and then remove the zip file when done.
To activate the new theme:
- Log in to the WP admin interface.
- Click on the Appearance button/link on the left side of the interface.
- Your new theme should now appear in the list of theme thumbnails. Click on it, then click “Activate Theme” near the top right of the preview window.
- The new theme will now be active for your entire site
How does bluehost work with WordPress
With most WordPress themes, activation is as simple as clicking on a link. Bluehost is a great web hosting provider with dozens of settings and options, so we’ve designed a quick set-up wizard to get the right settings for your site.
So, if you’ve used one of the supported plugins in the past, you can save time by importing these settings.
It’s fairly easy for new site owners to change their WordPress themes, you need only select a theme and install it. If you have an established WordPress site, changing the appearance of your entire website is a major step. We highly recommend backing up your site before doing so.